Potato Cauliflower Chowder with Trumpet Mushroom “Clams”
Chef Lisa Books-Williams
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, divided
- ½ pound trumpet mushrooms, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup raw cashews or ½ c vegan cream cheese (plain or chive flavor)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower, cut into large pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, divided
- 1 ½ cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon natural smoke flavor
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ c fresh parsley, minced
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté 1 tablespoon margarine, ¼ t Old Bay Seasoning and trumpet mushrooms for 7 minutes, then set aside.
- Blend cashews or cream cheese with 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth in blender until complete smooth.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon margarine, onion, cauliflower, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add bay leaves, thyme, white pepper, remaining low-sodium vegetable broth & Old Bay Seasoning, cashew mixture, and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Using either an immersion blender or regular blender, blend until completely smooth. Add potatoes and water and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir in the smoke flavor and the mushrooms and parsley. (NOTE: alternatively, mushrooms & parsley can be placed on top of the soup instead). Serve hot.
Chef Lisa Books Williams’ Recipes copyright © 2005-2018 by Lisa Books-Williams. All rights reserved. Recipes also registered with Writers Guild of America, West
Chef Lisa Books-Williams can be reached at 925-989-1811 or via email at Lisa@ThriveHolistic.com